Most people have experienced a filling at least once in their life time and for many they may still have amalgam (metal) fillings. At Towsned Family Dental we only placed high quality composite resin fillings. Composite fillings come in a range of natural tooth colours to provide a better match to surrounding teeth.
The main reason for a filling is due to decay. Once decay has broken through the outer layer of a tooth (enamel) and reaches the second layer (dentine) a filling is required. If left untreated for too long, you may be at risk of needing root canal treatment or at worse the loss of tooth. A composite filling can be used to repair a tooth that is not only affected by decay but cracks, chip, discolouration, and amalgam fillings. How to prevent fillings:
- Regular dental check-up and clean.
- Good oral hygiene – Brushing and flossing twice a day.
- Fluoride toothpaste.
- Fissure sealants (children & young adults).
- Avoid regular consumption of acidic food or drinks. Eg. Lemons/limes, fizzy drinks, energy drinks, cordial etc.
- Maintain a low sugar diet.